Lookouts

Lookouts
A GREAT view of the field at AT&T Park in Chattanooga during their pre-season open house!

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Al Neiger 1960 Philadelphia Phillies

Al Neiger sent a note answering some questions and telling me a great story involving Louisville!

Al says that his favorite team is his old team, the Phillies. Chase Utley is a current favorite player. Stan Musial is his favorite former player.

I asked Al about playing with the Chattanooga Lookouts.

"1961 we were the league champions. 1963 I had a good year pitching even though we finished next to last place."

Concerning any time in Louisville, Al tells me he, "played for Buffalo in 1960 (International League). We were playing Louisville (at Louisville). Both teams shared the same trainer in those years. I was waiting for the trainer to finish with one of the Louisville pitchers."

Al and the Louisville pitcher introduced themselves to each other and they discovered that their names were spelled similarly, though they were pronounced differently.

Al's Swiss-German name is pronounced "Nigh" ger. The other player had the Polish name "Nee" kro.

Man, I have asked several players if they have a good Kentucky story, and I keep getting stories about Phil Niekro! Phil spent some time with the Louisville Colonels, and it seems he made a lot of friends during that time!

2 comments:

  1. I like your site, especially the letters from the players. I wanted to drop an email to see if we can trade links. My site is http://www.baseballhappenings.net

    Let me know, drop me an email from my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks ND, I put a link to your blog in my link section! VERY cool blog you have there!

    ReplyDelete