Lookouts

Lookouts
A GREAT view of the field at AT&T Park in Chattanooga during their pre-season open house!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Wild Pitches

Well, the minor league baseball season is pretty much over. I did make a quick road trip through Michigan, and saw the Tigers, Lugnuts, WhiteCaps, and Mud Hens!

The Mud Hens, obviously are in Ohio, but they are darn close to Michigan, and they have some strong connections to the state. I was glad to see that they are drawing some good crowds! Oh, and I had the chance to indulge in some Tony Packos!!!!

I know Toledo is not the usual family tourist stop, but Mud Hens baseball and GREAT dogs are the perfect combo for a road trip.

I have been to Comerica Park before, but this was my first chance to actually catch a game. The park has a great, lively field. Good friendly staff too! Detroit seems to be trying hard to shake its bad rep, and in general, they are doing a good job. Still, I walked about 3 blocks to get to the game, and I was harassed by various people asking for donations, change, and trying to sell stuff. This was my only negative experience in Detroit though, and it wasn't too bad.

There is an excitement there that reminds me of the vibe going through Pittsburgh a little over a decade ago. Locals seem to have more pride in the area and that is a plus. I hope (and believe) Detroit can pull out of their slump as a town.

The White Caps in Grand Rapids put on a great show! VERY friendly staff and good atmosphere. This area could support a AA or AAA team.

No comments:

Post a Comment