Lookouts

Lookouts
A GREAT view of the field at AT&T Park in Chattanooga during their pre-season open house!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Book: Gary Carter- Still A Kid At Heart

So, I have read the other 2 autobiographies on Gary Carter. I had to ask myself if I really wanted to read a third one.

"Do you really wanted to hear the Kid talk about the 86 World Series again?"

Well, my answer was yes.

This book came out in 2008. If you are a fan of Carter, you already know about his growing up, playing baseball and football, his trade to the Expos, etc.

He does talk about all of that. I was glad that Gary did not talk too much this time about Bill Buckner, or Tommy Lasorda. In fact, he seemed a bit more sympathetic to Buckner this time around.

As Carter has been trying to break in to the majors again, this time as a manager, he talks a lot about that. I did enjoy his discussion of getting jobs in the minors, interviewing, etc. He mentions that he did talk to the Columbus Clippers at one time about managing there! I would have really loved seeing my favorite 80s player working with one of my favorite minor league teams!

Gary has a good amount of success managing. As a fan of Carter, I did feel frustrated at times with his decisions. At one point, he passes on managing a AA team because he would have to be too far from his home. I wanted to yell at the book, "Gary! That's not the way to climb the ladder to the majors!"

Gary Carter has always been Gary Carter. I have admired his character and style forever. I think he has a big heart, and even when he doesn't make the best decisions, I think he makes those decisions for the right reasons.

If you are a casual baseball fan, reading one of the books about Gary will be enough. If you are a fan of Carter, read all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment