Lookouts

Lookouts
A GREAT view of the field at AT&T Park in Chattanooga during their pre-season open house!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Norm Bass 1961-1963 Kansas City Athletics

Sometimes you hear about a story in baseball and you think to yourself, "why have I not heard this story before?" When I heard back from Norm Bass, I kind of felt that way. I thought I knew of all of the great baseball related stories. I guess that is one of the great things about the history of this sport. There are an endless amount of great stories.

"At ten years old I was blind, paralyzed, deaf and unable to speak totally. Overcoming spinal meningitis I went on to become the first African American to play two professional sports in the same year (1964)."

Norm says that after arthritis ended his professional career, he went on to win a bronze medal in the 2000 Paralympics held in Sydney.

"I was the oldest athlete in the games," he says.

In October/November of 2009, he won a gold and silver in the Pan American games in Venezuela at 70 years old.

Norm says that he follows the Dodgers and the Angels. He says that he doesn't have a single favorite player. "I'm a fan of all talented players."

"I will always be an athlete in my heart and I have been blessed to still compete."

Norm realizes that his is an inspirational story. His son has written a book about his dad called "Color Him Father." More info can be found at his website:

thegreatnormbass.com

I will have to check out the book!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment